Monday, September 22, 2008

A Mother is a Daugther's Best Friend


Lorelai Gilmore is one of the greatest examples of a mother who exemplifies the notion a mother and daughter can be best friends.

When girls are young, they often idolize their mothers and imitate their every move. A daughter will crawl into her mom's high heels and smear her makeup all over her face. And as soon as a mom is out of sight, a daughter will cry out, "I want my mommy."

Well because of the shining example Lorelai Gilmore played in her daughter's life, Rory wasn't afraid to call out, "I want my mommy," even if she needed to say it on her first day in college.

Some wish they could be so lucky.

Often relationships between mothers and daughters are a huge struggle. Lorelai and Rory Gilmore couldn't be closer, but in a lot of relationships, mothers and daughters couldn't be farther apart.

As Dr. Laura Tracy described broken relationships in a Discovery Health article by saying, "They can't hear each other." Daughters feel controlled and misunderstood while mothers feel like their children are headed down the wrong path.

Of course, no mother and no daughter are going to see eye-to-eye on everything. There are always going to be differences, but the key is to prevent those differences from affecting your relationship, from affecting your friendship.

Even Lorelai Gilmore felt that way. She once gave advice to Mrs. Kim about her relationship with her daughter Lane in an episode saying: "Look, there are times when you have to put those differences aside. ... I know it's hard, but I don't want you to draw a line in the sand now that you can't cross later. My mother missed so much. I don't want that to happen to you."

I don't want that to happen to you either.

All relationships take work, and no one said that having a relationship with your mother or daughter is going to be easy. But take my advice. Actually, take Lorelai Gilmore's advice. Just love each other and respect each other for your differences.

Lauren

1 comment:

Rockout10 said...

Hey your blog really touched me and made a differecne in my life. Thank you Lauren